Warehouse Transfer: Creating and Editing
To create a new warehouse transfer, go to Inventory > Warehouse Transfer and click:
- The New Transfer button - to transfer the stock from the currently selected location to another location.
- The New Request button - to request the stock to be transferred from another location to the currently selected location.
- Creating a warehouse transfer
- Editing a warehouse transfer
How to create a warehouse transfer step-by-step
Step 1: selecting the location
Before creating a new transfer, select the location in the Warehouse Transfer screen. Make sure that you've selected locations you are planning to transfer the stock from or to in the top left-hand corner of the screen:
Step 2: creating the transfer
Click the New Transfer or the New Request button to create a new transfer. Then choose the location from the drop-down menu that you want to transfer the stock from/to and click Confirm.
The Create Transfer screen is now available where you can check and adjust the following details:
It is a unique reference number generated by the system but you can change it if necessary. Once the warehouse transfer changes the status from request to accepted, the reference cannot be edited.
Warehouse transfers follow a specific path: draft > request > accepted > packing > in transit > checking in > delivered.
- Draft: when you initially create a transfer, it will have the draft status
- Request: the status changes to request when the draft is completed and the stock is requested from the location
- Accepted: the request has been accepted by the location that the stock is transferred from and is currently being picked
- Packing: the requested stock has been picked and is now being packed to be delivered
- In transit: the transfer has left the initial location and is in transit to the destination location
- Checking in: the transfer has been received in the destination location and is being verified
- Delivered: the transfer has been verified and accepted in the destination location
From & to locations
At the top right-hand corner of the Create Transfer screen, you can see the location that you are transferring the stock from and the location that the stock will be transferred to. These locations are displayed as selected in step 2. You can change these locations for warehouse transfers in the draft or request status.
In the Create Transfer screen, you can add items to the transfer, add notes and properties, view audit trail, print the transfer, and delete the transfer if needed.
Use this button to add items to a warehouse transfer. Please check more details in step 3.
Use the Notes button to add any additional information to your warehouse transfer.
To add a transfer note:
- Click Notes
- Type a message in the text box
- Click Add Note
You can also add notes to items individually. Click the noteicon on the right side in the item's row and follow the same steps.
Use the Properties button to add custom transfer properties that can be used later by an application or a macro to help identify warehouse transfers with a specific property.
To add a transfer property:
- Click Properties
- Click Add Property
- Enter property name and value
- Click Save
Once the property is added, you can edit its value by using the edit icon in the same pop-up. Name of the property cannot be edited. Select the property and click the delete icon if you need to remove this property from a warehouse transfer.
Use the Audit Log button to view any changes made to a warehouse transfer starting from the moment when it was raised in the system. You can see the creation date, which items were added or deleted, status changes, etc.
Use the Print Transfer button to print the relevant warehouse transfer document depending on the status. Go to Settings > Template Designer > Warehouse Transfer to find a template for each status and edit it according to your needs.
With the Delete Transfer button, you can delete the transfer if it has not yet reached the status of in transit. It is intended behaviour to make sure that the stock being transferred will be tracked either in the original location or the location it is being transferred to.
Step 3: adding items to the transfer
Open the Create Transfer screen:
- Click Add Item
- Search for the SKU or the title of the item
- Select the item
- Click Select to add this item to the transfer
- Specify the quantity
- Double-click the Request Qty field to add the quantity.
- In the same row, you can view:
- the stock level available in the location you're transferring the stock to;
- the stock level in the location you are transferring the stock from;
- the due level in the location you are transferring the stock from. Note! The due level is a sum of stock levels from purchase orders that are currently in open and partial statuses.
- Add notes to the item if needed
If you need to delete an item from a warehouse transfer, select it and click the delete icon.
Step 4: changing transfer status
When you start creating a warehouse transfer, it will have a draft status. To illustrate how the status changes further, we will transfer some stock from the Default location to the London warehouse location. WT00000 is an example of the warehouse transfer reference number. The warehouse transfer status gets changed the following way:
- Once you've added all details to the warehouse transfer raised with the default location selected in the screen, change the status from draft to request from the drop-down menu.
- Then a staff member at the Default warehouse location can review this transfer, and change the transfer status to accepted. In this case:
- The requested quantity is deducted from the default location.
- Stock Item History for the default location will report stock deduction with a note "Added to Transfer WT0000".
- Stock Item History for London warehouse location will not show a stock movement but will display a note "Due from Transfer WT0000".
- The staff at the Default location checked the transfer and accepted it. Now they may start picking items and packing them to be delivered to another location. The status of the transfer changes to packing.
Step 5: packing the transfer
- First, create and assign one of the items to a new Bin.
- Click and drag the item into the New Bin row.
- Set the quantity to move to 1.
- Now that the transfer has been packed, you can set the status to in transit to send it off to the London warehouse location.
Step 6: receiving the transfer
The status of the warehouse transfer changes to checking in.
- Enter the Received Qty of items.
- Set the transfer status to the delivered:
- The checked-in quantity will be added to the London warehouse location
- Stock Item History for the London warehouse location will report the stock increase with a note "Added to Transfer WT0000".
Alternatively, you can use the Barcode Mode button to check in the received stock from the warehouse transfer. To scan a received item:
- Click the Barcode Mode button.
- Select the Bin that you are checking in.
- Scan the item or type the barcode in the barcode text box in the top right-hand corner above the table and press Enter.
- This action will add a quantity of 1 to the item inside the Bin.
- Repeat this process for all items until all the items received have been scanned.
When working with the warehouse transfers in the checking in status, you can filter out items in the screen to display:
- All - displays all items.
- Received ≠ Sent - displays items where the received quantity is not equal to the sent quantity.
- Underbooked - displays items where the received quantity is less than the sent quantity.
- Overbooked - displays items where the received quantity is more than the sent quantity.
- Not received - displays items where the received quantity is 0.
These filters are useful when working with transfers that contain a large number of different stock lines.
How to edit a warehouse transfer
Open the Warehouse Transfer screen from Inventory > Warehouse Transfer. Search for the warehouse transfer card in the screen. You can select All locations in the drop-down menu placed in the top left-hand corner of the screen to see warehouse transfers raised for all locations.
Find the warehouse transfer and double-click the card to edit it.